Heard of the Datsun Sunnny Pickup with deliriously power happy NA SR20 4-ITBs from C&Y Sports Garage from Japan?
sourced from import tuner magazine
Sarawak can lay claims to some pretty whacked out stuffs too.....How 'bout our very own Miri built 3000VR4 GTO with a 2JZ Heart?monster jahat...(sticker rah tepinya...hehe)
Try this one for size, classic 240Z with RB26Dett with all its drive trains and suspension system out of a GT-R R33? Extreme Engineering I'll say...
Which brings us to Our Blog entry of the day, The Half Breed Jeep-Ra.
Jeep-Ra was born a Chyrsler Jeep XJ Cherokee 97 Sports powered by a Chrysler 2.5 block 4 Banger. This was my very first car which I learn to drive in and in years to come, my very first true project car. It is extremely well-built with an awful thirst for petrol. Good thing here in Miri, we can just grab a shovel and dig an oil well out of our backyard huh...
Till one fine day, our trusty Cherokee died unexpectedly never again to awake. The ECU was burnt to a crisp and I had to source for a brand new ECU out of good Ol' USA for Rm5K. Before tax that is, when I found out how much it'll cost me plus taxes and such...it was well out of my means!!!
I began to look for alternatives....its a shame to put down a warrior built to last an eternity when only its poor heart was the only weak link....I searched high and low for Used ECUs...even considered diesel transplants from Ford Ranger or Toyota Hilux's powerplants...which doesn't seem like good value for money...

I was about to give it up for ghost when i came across the Legendary 1JZ-GTE in a junkyard....Inline 6, Twin Turbo, 2500cc....seems like a perfect choice...It produces far more power compared to the more expensive diesels from Rangers or Hilux....I began to wonder if it would fit into the rather square and tight XJ's engine bay without cutting into the firewall (kotak itam besarrrrr ya bah!!)....I was sold on the idea when the Junkyard's Towkey (Owner) told me it would cost pretty much the same transplanting the 1JZ as it is the oil-burners...
The biggest job apparently was to mate the OEM 4WD 5-Speed gearbox to the engine...I was adamant to keep the Jeep OEM gearbox instead of the one that comes with 1JZ as I know that the OEM would suit the power/weight ratio of the heavier XJ as compared to one that the auto tranny from the 1 JZ is used to.
Yes, I have come across many succesful transplants of the venerable 1JZ and its auto tranny into an XJ which later becomes quite a lethargic experience because the heavier XJ chassis wears down the ratios in the 1JZ tranny....Power's there but it runs out of steam too soon... Avoiding the same mistake...I embarked on a journey of uncertainty as it has never been done before and much to the woes of my mechanics....I strongly insisted on using the OEM tranny back for the transplant..heh heh heh (aku nang suka MEJAL!!! tapi xpat chelen Captain dz@l laa hahaha)
6 months later, there was still plenty to do but generally it was done!! the engine's in, the wiring's connected, the cooling system fabricated, the tranny mounted..the cluthes had to be changed while the tranny was still out, the oil pan had to be fabricated as it knocks into the front axle due to the lower mounting points...BUT..Its mostly done!! Huge Relief!!
When it's time to roll out on the roads, I find that the ride was like riding out a typhoon huricane on the seas in a small Penambang (boat exaggerated)!! No doubt the rush from the powerful 1JZ was there but I felt unsure of its road handling capabilities. Back into the workshop it goes and a major suspension job was needed to complement the new found power from the 1JZ.
Koni Heavy Tracks was put to duty complementing the KINGS Springs (Aussie made) that was squeezed into the frame. FYI, it was meant for a Hilux but Extreme 'Kampong Style' Engineering was applied here... hehehe..Now the XJ is lifted 4 inches all around with a much stiffer and more grounded ride...
The final result? With the OEM tranny better suited for the heavier chassis, the XJ never felt lighter and I can still engage 4WD as I normally would with the old engine...Marvelous!! Imagine launching on 4WD with 2500cc Twin Turbo Inline 6...easily trumps a 350Z on a quarter mile.....On the roads, it powers on the 2 rears for a less harsh ride and reasonable fuel consumption.

I absolutely adore the Sleeper look.....It gives so much pleasure to see the look on unsuspecting peeps when it just leaves them trailing in smoke and dust...
I began to look for alternatives....its a shame to put down a warrior built to last an eternity when only its poor heart was the only weak link....I searched high and low for Used ECUs...even considered diesel transplants from Ford Ranger or Toyota Hilux's powerplants...which doesn't seem like good value for money...

I was about to give it up for ghost when i came across the Legendary 1JZ-GTE in a junkyard....Inline 6, Twin Turbo, 2500cc....seems like a perfect choice...It produces far more power compared to the more expensive diesels from Rangers or Hilux....I began to wonder if it would fit into the rather square and tight XJ's engine bay without cutting into the firewall (kotak itam besarrrrr ya bah!!)....I was sold on the idea when the Junkyard's Towkey (Owner) told me it would cost pretty much the same transplanting the 1JZ as it is the oil-burners...
The biggest job apparently was to mate the OEM 4WD 5-Speed gearbox to the engine...I was adamant to keep the Jeep OEM gearbox instead of the one that comes with 1JZ as I know that the OEM would suit the power/weight ratio of the heavier XJ as compared to one that the auto tranny from the 1 JZ is used to.
Yes, I have come across many succesful transplants of the venerable 1JZ and its auto tranny into an XJ which later becomes quite a lethargic experience because the heavier XJ chassis wears down the ratios in the 1JZ tranny....Power's there but it runs out of steam too soon... Avoiding the same mistake...I embarked on a journey of uncertainty as it has never been done before and much to the woes of my mechanics....I strongly insisted on using the OEM tranny back for the transplant..heh heh heh (aku nang suka MEJAL!!! tapi xpat chelen Captain dz@l laa hahaha)
6 months later, there was still plenty to do but generally it was done!! the engine's in, the wiring's connected, the cooling system fabricated, the tranny mounted..the cluthes had to be changed while the tranny was still out, the oil pan had to be fabricated as it knocks into the front axle due to the lower mounting points...BUT..Its mostly done!! Huge Relief!!
When it's time to roll out on the roads, I find that the ride was like riding out a typhoon huricane on the seas in a small Penambang (boat exaggerated)!! No doubt the rush from the powerful 1JZ was there but I felt unsure of its road handling capabilities. Back into the workshop it goes and a major suspension job was needed to complement the new found power from the 1JZ.
Koni Heavy Tracks was put to duty complementing the KINGS Springs (Aussie made) that was squeezed into the frame. FYI, it was meant for a Hilux but Extreme 'Kampong Style' Engineering was applied here... hehehe..Now the XJ is lifted 4 inches all around with a much stiffer and more grounded ride...
The final result? With the OEM tranny better suited for the heavier chassis, the XJ never felt lighter and I can still engage 4WD as I normally would with the old engine...Marvelous!! Imagine launching on 4WD with 2500cc Twin Turbo Inline 6...easily trumps a 350Z on a quarter mile.....On the roads, it powers on the 2 rears for a less harsh ride and reasonable fuel consumption.
I absolutely adore the Sleeper look.....It gives so much pleasure to see the look on unsuspecting peeps when it just leaves them trailing in smoke and dust...
Rizal Webb
p/s: to those who were appalled at the desecration of a fine American machine, FYI Jeep parts costs few arms and several legs up here in Sarawak...for the same amount you can get a fully functional decent workhorse of similar caliber.....Take note that we have tried the best of our abilities and resources to keep The Cherokee proudly American.. mahal oiiii brg Jeep sitok!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment
-Be Nice! Don't Leave Any Crap!-