I had never dreamt of driving one, having resigned to the fact that I'm not physically built for one.... Well, as a local ‘kampung boy’, having seen photos, videos of it in magazines, on television ....it was reserved and exclusive for ‘the one’.
Those who were born with fullface helmets affixed to the head, those who had the balls..the talented ones..
Well..... not exactly.
The location is none other than the temporary carpark circuit at Petra Jaya Sports Center. I was anticipating the days to finally meet it in flesh, having seen it on in the Suzuki sport website years before ... the urge to finally caress its body growing in each minute.
Suzuki offeres 2 models for this race series, the novice one which uses a Suzuki Kei sport turbocharged engine while the one for the pro’s would be powered by the free-revving Suzuki Hayabusa engine, mated to a Hewland sequential mission.Wicked.
Well, it arrived on time, tucked on the flatbed truck before it was slowly moved to the circuit for our inspection. Its size is well within for new racers, and I have to admit it suited me well. To be exact, removal of the steering was necessary for me to enter.haha
This machine had been pimped with a set of Desmond Evo Regamaster with Dunlop Direzza semi’s, not the same as you would seen in the website but it will do the work.
The engine cover was removed, revealing the turbocharged lump. What caught my attention was the NSX style air-intake inlet duct, directing serious air to the intercooler. Placed on top of driver’s head, it looks damn cool, projecting the ‘im-serious-m-gonna-eat-you’ look.
The seats was another different story. There was no ‘Blide Row Mex’ nor 'Ricaro' seat, only a piece of structure to support the driver’s body with Willians harness strapping for the driver's safety. A racing fuel tank was placed directly behind the seat. I absolutely love the front spoiler, and as the technicians installed it to the machine, the ‘ikan jos tukol’ look emerged. Man…
Then came the opportunity. I was invited to drive the car, and manage to thrash it for a good 5 laps around the circuit. My first experience in an open wheel car had me properly look at every possibility of going faster around the track. Man, it is a 100k worth race car, and the officials repeatedly told me to not gunned it.hahah..
I make myself comfortable, noting first the close placement of gear shifter. Trying to shift was not a problem, but what worries me was the open wheel and the possibilty of projectiles flying from it and the fact that I had no helmets on. Haha.
Cool as it might seem, first lap I drive slowly, intimately getting myself acquainted with it while at the same time ensuring the brakes were warmed to the required temperature, not exactly that grippy, yet enough for on-spot braking. I am not racing mind you...
After turn 3, I tap the throttle and the car accelerates without mercy, fast but shockingly still in control. The stretch seems short, and suspension were jigging along the way, proof of the stiffness of the suspension. The Hairpin was taken with half throttle before the throttle was fully open for the short straight. response was electric!! Damn, I love this car.
My take on this machine, as an entry level machine, it forces you to think while you race it. Every corner, braking points was magnified experience wise ...it made me think of the braking point for the usually easy turn 6, and this was at a speed within my control. Shumi and Lewis would think the otherwise for sure lah..
Talking about shumi and open wheel racing, the next season would be interesting as Lotus returns to F1. My eye’s were on those aggressive drivers and surely Mercedes.
As the car was lifted back on the flatbed truck, I wondered, what if the logo on the red body was Ferrari..Damn, Ferrari...dare I dream?


No comments:
Post a Comment
-Be Nice! Don't Leave Any Crap!-